Sunday 19 October 2014

What is it like to be a voracious reader?

I found this question in Quora and picked few answers to help us as voracious readers.

  • Your reading list is never ending - the more books you read, the more books you realize you should read. Recently I read a biography which recommended seven books that I realized I simply have to read, and when I eventually read those seven books they will also recommend numerous book that I will have to read; continuing the process ad infinitum.

voracious readers

  • Friends expect you to have read everything - 'how could you not have read Book X or Book Y, I thought you read a lot', is a question you get asked all the time, neglecting the fact that there are thousands and thousands of books that have to be ignored in favor of the books you do eventually read. Just because you are a voracious reader does not mean you have read every 'major' book written in the last two hundred years.
  • Re-reading is more important than the initial reading - I am consistently humbled by how much I miss spotting in my first reading of almost any text. It is only after numerous re-readings of numerous passages and chapters that important themes and ideas start to click. I now even mark certain sections with the comment 'return to later' in the knowledge that I will need to come back to that section.
  • There are two types of voracious readers - there are those who will chew up anything in a particular genre or field and there are those who read expansively as well as in areas that they are uncomfortable with. I used to belong to the former category (I would only read a certain type of literary fiction), but ever since I switched to the latter, I have become a better reader and a deeper thinker.
  • You continually discover gems of ideas that expand your consciousness - I am currently reading a fascinating book called Why Does The World Exist?, and on two occasions I have stumbled upon ideas that have given me eureka moments that will stay with me for a long time to come as well as altering my present state of thinking. It is for these moments that I continually read and read and read..

No comments:

Post a Comment